Barmer is a town of Rajasthan, barren, with harsh climate, tough terrain, but is known for its rich crafts, dances and music. Once on the ancient camel trade route, the town in now the centre for wood carving, pottery, carpets, intricate emboidery work, block printed fabrics and multi- hued traditional costumes. Witness the rural Rajasthan, the small villages with mud-walled houses decorated with delicate folk motifs and colourfully attired people. Every year in March, the desert town is at its colourfull best during the exuberant Barmer festival. The longest river in the district is the Luni. It is 480 km in length and drain into the Gulf of Kutch passing through Jalore. Here one can experience a completely different taste of this desert state; peaceful, small villages, their mud-walled houses decorated with geometric designs. The names comes from Bahada Rao (popularly known as a Bar Rao), who founded the district in the 13th century and named it as Bahadamer or "The Hill Fort of Bahada", which forms the majot attraction of the village.
Barmer village is an ideal destination for shopping. Situated at 153 km south of Jaisalmer, this town offers handicrafts items like wood carving, carpets, embroidery, blockprinting, terracotta, silver filigree, etc. Barmer is connected by train and road. The nearest airport is Jodhpur
Perched on a hill there are ruins of an old fort. There is a temple dedicated to Balark (the Sun) and the ancient ruins of Juna Barmer. Visit the three Jain temples, an incription of 1295 AD and a maassive pillar in the hall of the largest temple of Maharaja Kula Sri Samanta Sinha Deva, a ruler of Bahadmera (now, Barmer)
Situated on the foot of a hill near village Hathma in Barmer tehsil is Kiradu. The incription dating back to 1161 AD reveals that the place was called Kiratkoop and had once been the capital of Punwars. The ruins of five ancient temples, one dedicated to Lord Vishnu and other four to Lord Shiva are of interest. The largest of these temples is the Someshwar Temple.
Rao Siha, the founder of the Rathore clan along with his son (Asthanji) conquered Khed from the Guhil Rajputs. An old Vishnu temple of Ranchhriji is surrounded by a crumbling wall and an image of Garuda at the gate guards the complex.
This ancient village got its name from the descendants of a Rathore sub-clan and has two temples. The Hindu temple is ornamented with fine sculptures, which were brought from a Jain temple of Lord Mahavir.
This 12th century village lies on the slope of a hill Nagar - Ki - Bhakarian and has three Jain temples and one Hindu Vishnu Temple.