Arcot is a city in Vellore district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Located on the Palar River at 12°54'N, 79°20'E, the city straddles a highly strategic trade route between Chennai and Bangalore, between the Mysore Ghat and the Javadi Hills. Its population in 1991 was 45,205. Its name is commonly believed to have been derived from the Tamil words aaru (River) + kaadu (Forest). However, arkkaTu meant 'a forest of fig trees'. ** Arcot - Economy** Arcot is the principal market for the surrounding agricultural area. It also has a viable local weaving industry and ground nut oil industry.. **Arcot - Temples** Sri Sundaramoorthi Vinayagar Temple (Radha Krishnan street), Sri Ramakrishna Shrine, Sri Devi Karumari Amman Temple, Sri Kasi Viswanathar Temple, Sri Varadharaja Perumal Temple(Around 1000 years old), Sri Maha Ganapathy Temple, Sri Gangadhara Eswara Varadharaja Perumal Temple, Rathnagiri Bala Murugan Temple. The Development of Arcot Region and the Danish Missionary Society The people who lived in the Arcot region especially in and near the temple town of Tiruvannamalai, belonged to a clan called the Arcots. These were warriors and landowners, some of them were descended from ancient Dravidians and Hindu Marathas. The Nawabs fought with and ruled over them for a time. With the advent of the Danish Missionary Society, many of these Arcots became Christians. The Arcot region was one of the quickest areas in Tamil Nadu to develop perhaps in part due to the influence of Danish missionaries. The Danish Missionary Society (DMS, currently Dan Mission), did its ministry among the people in these parts and the Danish Missionary Church was formed. They established many schools and hospitals in the surrounding villages with the help of the arcots. The first missionary of the DMS was a German Rev. C.C.E. Ochs. He started his first Mission station, Bethanien, at Melpattambakkam in South Arcot in 1861. Now all its activities have been transferred to the nearby town Nellikuppam. The second mission station of DMS was opened at Tirukkoyilur in 1869 by Rev. P. Andersen and was called "Siloam". Siloam church was consecrated on the 10th of October, 1886 and on the same day the first Indian pastors were ordained and more than 30 persons were baptized. A week later a church was consecrated in an outstation, Sengalmedu. The beautiful church in Pop ham's Broadway in Madras was built in the year 1892. Saron, a third mission station of DMS, was opened in the year 1882 and situated just outside the town Tiruvannamalai. In 1898 a mission station was built in the town. From 1905 it was called "Carmel." The fourth mission station in the Arcot District, "Bethesda," in Kallakurichi was built in 1893 by Rev. A. Larsen. Later DMS started mission stations at Panruti, Vriddhachalam, Devanampatnam, Darisanapuram, and Servaroj Hills, etc. In the year 1913 a church constitution was inaugurated. One of the famous veteran preachers was the late Rev. L. Joseph, a man known for his honesty, sincerity, and simplicity. The Danish Missionary Society in these parts came to be known as the Arcot Lutheran Church. This church is serving the Tamil-speaking population in the districts of South and North Arcot, Tamil Nadu. The Arcot Lutheran Church In the late 1950s the Danish Missionary Society was handed over to Indian hands with Rev.Dorairaj Peter being made the first Indian President and Dr.R.V.David the first Indian Secretary. Rev. Dorairaj Peter was later consecrated as the first Bishop of The Arcot Lutheran Church, the new name given to the mission/church. Education and health were given to all people and today if the Arcot region is flourishing with learned men and women it owes something to the seeds sown by the Danish missionaries and volunteers from Arcot families. **Arcot Tourism - Places of interests in and around Arcot.** Delhi Gate 18th Century Architecture, Raja Rani Tank, Green Mosque, Pancha Pandavar Mountain, Green Thunder - Water Theme Park of North Arcot District. Arcot - more places of interest :- Thoppukana Anna Statue (Turning) Kannamangalm Road Junction Thiruvalluvar Statue Clock Tower Gandhi Statue Santhapet Daasipuram Kaspa Gummadam Anna Nagar Tippu Auliya Dargah Yapeer Auliya Dargah Nawab Chanda Saheb Green Tomb Fakir Ahmed Saheb Mosque Navayathivadi mosque Basha Street Devi Nagar ..
The town's strategic location has led to it being repeatedly contested and prompted the construction of a formidable fortress. It was captured from the Hindu Marathas by a Muslim Nawab of Karnataka, who made it his capital in 1712. In 1751, Robert Clive captured the town during the conflict between the United Kingdom and France for control of South India. He successfully held it with only 500 men against a powerful opposing army raised by the Marathas, led by the transgendered Commander G.E. Neil Arcot, resisting for 56 days (23 September to 14 November 1751). The enemy army eventually dissolved and its leader, Chanda Shahib, was killed. Mohammed Ali Khan Walajah took over as Nawab, effectively serving as a vassal of the British. His successors soon ran up enormous debts at the hands of English speculators. In 1801, the town was annexed by the British East India Company. In the 20th century, Arcot declined in importance and was incorporated into the district of Vellore. Arcot has the tomb of famous 18th century Sufi Saint - Tipu Mastan Aulia. The story goes that from the blessings of Tipu Mastan Aulia, Hyder Ali had a son, whom he appropriately named after the saint..
Arcot is located at 12.9° N 79.33° E. It has an average elevation of 164 metres (538 feet).s
Every person with wanderlust has Delhi on their list and for the right reason. This culturally diverse city is known for it’s ancient heritage, colorful noise and rich background. Plan your visit soon, for this city has a lot to offer.