Fort & Palace/ Historical Palace in Himachal Pradesh
On the Observatory Hills is located Viceregal Lodge which is also
called Rashtrapati Niwas. This magnificent building was the
residence of the British Viceroy Lord Dufferin. The palatial
building was the venue for many important decisions which changed
fate of the sub-continent. This lodge was completed in 1888. It is
said that every brick for the building was carried by mules. This
is a six storey building is surrounded by well maintained gardens
and lawns. A cafe is also there. The lodge has now been converted
into Institute of Advanced study. The lodge is further 2 kms from
The Kamru fort is a silent sentinel, situated at a fearsome
altitude of 2,600m above the sea level. This place is at a
distance of 229-km from Shimla, and is a dense cluster of houses,
surrounded by fields and orchards.
Location - Dharamsala
Located at the very start of the town amidst landscaped lawns and
a web of narrow paths filling a pine grove, is the memorial raised
to commemorate the post independence war heroes of Himachal
The Maharaja of Chail built the Palace in Chail in 1891. The
Maharaja's palace was converted into a heritage hotel when it was
purchased by Himachal Tourism in 1972. It covers a wide area of 75
acres with a regal setting that offers spectacular views. You can
have a perfect holiday at this majestic hill station in the
luxurious and spacious rooms.
Once the capital of the princely state of Baghal, Arki has
witnessed a good measure of turbulence in this area. Arki became
the stronghold of an invading force of Gurkhas during the 'Gurkha
Wars' that ended in 1815-16. The highlight of the fort are its
muralled interiors, executed in1850 under Raja Kishen Chand.
Close to the district border of Kangra, is the fort of Sujanpur.
Built by Raja Abhaya Chand of Kangra in 1758, in the early
nineteenth century, it was the home of the famous Raja Sansar
Chand – renowned patron of the Kangra School of miniature
paintings. The fort has a ‘Baradari Hall', where Sansar Chand used
to hold court. There are also some shrines and excellent wall
paintings within the fort.
In Chamba, situated the beautiful Rang Mahal palace, which was
built by Raja Umed Singh in the mid 18th century. An interesting
mix of colonial and Sarcenic architure styles, this palace is now
counted among the heritage palace hotels of Himachal Pradesh.
Exquisite examples of wall paintings in the Punjab Hills style,
depicting the life and times of Lord Krishna embellish the walls
of the palace. May be this is the reson why Rang Mahal is
populalry known as "The Painted Palace".
The most important fort of the region, it is enclosed by high
ramparts and its walls have a circumference of approximately 4 km.
It was built about 1,000 years ago on the confluence of the
Banganga and Manjhi rivers. Its various gates, shrines and remains
of the old palaces are noteworthy.
Within a short driving distance of Arki, and barely an hour away
from the Jubbarhatti (Shimla) airport, is the fort of Kuthar. Its
oldest sections are 800 years old while the most recent structures
are barely eight decades old. Close-by are several scenic
attractions like Kunihar, the Gurkha fort of Subathu and the hill
station of Kasauli.