Fort & Palace/ Historical Palace in Rajasthan
Built in 1799, by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh the 'Hawa Mahal',
Palace of the Wind, is one of the major landmarks of Jaipur. It is
an integral part of the City Palace, an extension of the Zenana
(women's chambers) standing away from the main complex. This five
storey building of unusual architecture designed by Lal Chand Usta,
is a stunning example of Rajput artistry made of red and pink sand
stone, beautifully outlined with white borders and motif's painted
with quick lime. The monument with a spectacular view of Jaipur
city with road avenues, intersections and colourful crowds in the
market, was originally conceived with the aim of enabling ladies
of the royal household to watch the everyday life and royal
processions in the city without being seen by others.
The architectural astronomical instruments of 18th century
Rajasthani king named Jai Singh contained in an amazing,
three-storey-high complex known as Jantar Mantar
Amer Palace (Fort )
Amer Fort and Palace was originally built by Raja Man Singh and
subsequently developed by Sawai Jai Singh. The major attractions
are Sheela Devi Temple, Sheesh Mahal ( Hall of mirrors), Jai Garh
Fort a few kilometres from the city centre was built for the
defence of the towna and has one of the world`s biggest cannons on
wheels and a rich collection of arms and weapons
The Western skyline is dominated by the extensive parkotas
(Walls), watch-towers and gateways of Jaigarh.It is one of the few
military structures of medieval India preserved almost
intactcontaining palaces, gardens, open and covered reservoirs, a
grannary, an armoury, a well planned cannon foundry, several
temples, a tall tower and a giant mounted cannon the Jai Ban the
largest in the Country.
The Jal Mahal Palace, Jaipur is noted for its intricate
architecture. The Palace was developed as a pleasure spot. It was
used for the royal duck shooting parties. On the road to Amber at
a distance of 6.5 kms from Jaipur are the cenotaphs of the royal
family. A causeway leads to Jal Mahal Palace situated in the
middle of Man Sagar lake, opposite the cenotaphs.The first four
floors of this building is under water, only the top floor remains
outside.One can have a wonderful view of the lake and the palace
from Nahargarh Fort Built in 1799, the palace is now abandoned,
but reasonably well preserved. In the monsoons, it looks
particularly startling with its red sandstone set against the
water hyacinth filled lake.
Beyond the hills of Jaigarh, stands the fort of Nahargarh like a
watchful sentinel guarding Sawai Jai Singh's beautiful capital.
Much of the original structures are now in ruins, but the lovely
buildings added by Sawai Ram Singh II and Sawai Madho Singh II in
the 19th century are preserved in a good condition. Some of the
rooms provide the most spectacular view of the city below.
Sisodia Rani Ka Bagh
Along the road to Agra through a narrow gorge in the
south-eastern corner of the walled city, several landscaped
gardens were constructed by the kings and important courtiers in
the 18th and 19th centuries. The largest and the most famous
amongst these is a garden built by Sawai Jai Singh II for his
Sisodia Queen - The Sisodia Rani-ka-Bagh. It consists of tiered
multi-level gardens with fountains, watercourses and painted
pavilions. Amongst others, the best-preserved one is
Vidyadhar-ka-Bagh, constructed by the builder of the city,
Vidyadhar, with shady trees, flowing water, an open pavilion and
suites of living rooms
City Palace- Jaipur
The city Palace is a historic landmark. The Carved arches are
supported by grey-white marble columns studded with floral motifs
in gold and coloured stones. Two elephants carved in marble, guard
the entrance, where retaineers whose families have served
generations of the rulers are at hand, to serve as guides.
It was built in 1440 AD. by Maharaja Kumbha, a powerful ruler of
Mewar, to commemorate his victory over the Muslim rulers of Malwa
and Gujarat. It is 37 metre high structure with nine storeys,
covered with exquisite sculptures of Hindu deities.
Palace of Padmini
Built beside a large pool with a pavilion in its centre. Legend
relates that, as Padmini sat in this pavilion, Alaud-din was
permitted to see her reflection in a mirror in the palace. The
bronze gates in this pavilion were carried off by Akbar and can
now be seen in the fort at Agra.
Jaisalmer Fort is the most alive of any museum, fort or palace
that you are likely to visit in India. It was built in 1156 by the
Rajput ruler Jaisala. About a quarter of the old city's population
resides within the fort walls. The fort is entered through a
forbidding series of massive gates leading to a large courtyard.
The impressive mansions built by the wealthy merchants of
Jaisalmer are known as havelis, and several of these fine
sandstone buildings are still in good condition.
This haveli was built about 300 years ago and part of
it is still occupied. Salim Singh was the prime minister when
Jaisalmer was the capital of a princely state, and his mansion has
a beautifully arched roof with superb carved brackets in the form
of peacocks. The mansion is just below the hill and it is said,
once had two additional wooden storeys in an attempt to make it as
high as the Maharaja's palace, but the maharaja had the upper
storeys torn down.
It is one of the largest and most elaborate houses in
Jaisalmer. It is five storeys high, extinsively carved. It is
divided into six apartments, two owned by the Archaeological
Survey of India, Two by families who operate craftshops here, and
two private homes.
This late 19th century haveli was also a prime
minister's house. This haveli was carved by two brothers, one
working on the right side and the other on the left. Yellow
sandstone elephants guard the building, and even the front door is
a work of art.
Junagarh Fort in Bikaner is considered one of India's most
impressive fort complexes. It's exquisitely decorated interiors
are in an excellent state of preservation. Built in 1588 by Raja
Rai Singh. The complex consists of palaces, courtyards, pavilions,
and balconies. The walls are adorned with carved stones, marble,
paintings, and inlaid semi-precious stones. Each palace in the
complex was built by a different ruler over the centuries. The
most recent additions were made in 1943.
This grand palace is an architectural masterwork in red sandstone,
and was built by Maharaja Ganga Singh Ji in the memory of his
father Maharaja Lal Singh Ji in 1902. Sir Swinton Jacob designed
this oriental fantasy. This architecture is a fusion of Rajput,
Mughal and European architecture. The exterior contrasts
dramatically with the oriental interiors and amenities. The palace
has beautiful latticework and filigree work, which are hallmarks
of a great craftsmanship. The Palace has an amazing collection of
well-maintained paintings and hunting trophies. Sprawling lawns
with blooming bougainvillea and dancing peacocks make a visual
Mehrangarh Fort |
Situated on a steep hill, Mehrangarh fort is one of the largest
forts in India. The beauty and the grandeur of numerous palaces in
the fort narrates a saga of hard sandstones yielding to the
chisels of skilled Jodhpuri sculptures. Inside the fort, there is
a series of courtyards and palaces.
Umaid Bhawan Palace
Built of marble and pink sandstone, this immense palace is also
known as the Chittar Palace because of the local Chittar sandstone
used. The only palace built in 20th century under the famine
relief programme, has now been converted into a hotel with some
parts being retained as a museum.
Kumbhalgarh Fort |
Kumbhalgarh, a two hour drive from Udaipur, is famous for its 15th
century fort and a game sanctuary. Approachable by road, the huge
stone bastion stands atop a hill and allows access through spiked
gates. The fort wall covers miles over the hillside and a walk on
it can be invigorating. The fort lies 1,100 metres above sea level
and enclosed within its fortified ramparts are palaces, temples,
fields, water sources and farms fully self-contained to withstand
a long siege. Kumbhalgarh provides an excellent view of the
countryside where many fierce battles were fought. It also has its
significance of being the birth place of Maharana Pratap
Lake Palace or Jag Niwas was built in 1754 by Maharana
Jagat Singh II who gave his name to this elegant white building.
The Lake Palace Udaipur is a palace on an island in the middle of
Lake Pichola girdled by hills, was the summer residence of the
rulers of Mewar. Today this pleasure palace is a luxury hotel like
none other in the world.